Office of Academic Services

Registration Blocks and Holds

What are registration blocks and holds?

Registration blocks, or holds, prevent students from accessing the course registration system. Some blocks prevent access for a particular semester, and some blocks prevent access for all semesters.

Holds may also prevent a student from obtaining an official transcript or a diploma.

When is a registration block or hold applied?

There are several types of registration blocks and holds. Sometimes, a student may have more than one block at once. Here is a list of the most often applied registration blocks and holds:


  • Mandatory academic advising appointment did not occur
  • Undeclared major going into the senior year
  • Trying to register for the semester after the declared graduation date
  • Dismissed and not eligible to return


  • The student took a leave of absence, withdrew, or did not attend the prior semester and did not reenroll


  • The student owes money to Rutgers (tuition, parking tickets, library fines)


  • The student needs to turn in an immunization record to the health center


How does a student know if a registration block or hold has been applied?

Registration blocks and holds are applied after a student has been notified about the need to do something (declare a major, pay a term bill, etc.) and should not be a surprise. Reading all notifications from Rutgers University officials and offices is an essential task for a successful student.

Even with these notifications, students often realize that they have a registration block or hold when they try to log into the registration system and receive a message that they are blocked.

At any time, a student can come in to an SAS Advising Center to inquire if they have any blocks or holds on their record.

How is a registration block removed?

In most cases, the student will need to do whatever they did not do which necessitated the need for the block or hold in the first place.

  • For financial holds, contact Student Accounting.
  • For immunization holds, contact Health Services.
  • For academic or registration holds, come in person to an SAS Advising Center or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
  • For disciplinary holds, contact the Office of Student Conduct.


P 848-445-8888
F 732-445-2175
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

  • Busch Campus

Busch Student Center
Room 172

  • Douglass Campus

College Hall
Room 104

  • College Avenue Campus

Milledoler Hall
Room 103

  • Livingston Campus
Lucy Stone Hall
Room A-216