There are quite a few changes to the registration deadlines and policies for the fall 2020 term, all designed to facilitate a smooth transition into your remote classes, as well as assure continued success throughout the term. Please retain this email message so that you can refer to it for information as we approach the first day of classes (Tuesday September 1).
As you know, just about all undergraduate courses will be offered remotely, on-line in the fall 2020 term.
The Schedule of Classes has been fully updated to indicate exactly how each class will be organized. Look up each of your courses in the Schedule of Classes to review the Course Format, the Section Comments, and the Course Notes.
Course Format: In a WHITE box adjacent to each individual Index Number:
If the course format includes Days of the Week and Times, then the class meets virtually on-line and on-line attendance at those times is required. This format, sometimes referred to as SYCHRONOUSE REMOTE, emulates the face-to-face classroom experience and all students will be meeting together with the instructor at the designated times. You can ignore the Campus Location, since the course is meeting remotely.
If the course format states Hours by Arrangement, then the class has no specific meeting times, rather the course site will indicate specific weekly requirements and assignment due dates. In addition, flexible opportunities to meet with TAs, instructors and classmates will be a part of these classes. This format, sometimes referred to as ASYNCHRONOUSE REMOTE, provides flexibility, especially for students in other time zones, but still requires the same amount of hour per week as more traditional course formats. These courses ARE NOT self-paced; there is a weekly schedule for work submission beginning the first week of classes.
If the course format includes both a specific meeting time AND Hours by Arrangement, then the course meets virtually on-line and attendance is required at the indicated time AND contains more flexible weekly requirements. This format, sometimes referred to as HYBRID REMOTE, often allows recitations to meet virtually as a group.
Section Notes: In a BLUE box located above each specific section of the course. The section comments include:
- How to access the course online using Canvas, Sakai or an alternative Learning Management System
- Topics Course Subtitles
- Prerequisite information
- Registration restrictions
- Software/technology requirements such as the need for a Webcam, Microphone, Scanner and/or Test-Taking Authentication Program
Course Notes: In a GREY box located under the title of the course. The course notes include:
- SAS Core goals
- Instructions for seeking special permission
- Registration limitations and course equivalences
Registration Policies and Deadlines
Classes begin Tuesday, September 1. Please log in to Canvas and Sakai (or any other LMS listed in the Schedule of Classes for your courses) on Tuesday, September 1 to begin your classes.
WebReg and Registration Changes
- Continuing Students may use WebReg now to make schedule adjustment. The add/drop period extends through September 14.
- New, first year students will be receiving their schedules on Thursday, August 20, and will be able to use WebReg to make adjustments for beginning Tuesday, August 25, extending through September 14.
- SAS Students may add classes using WebReg through September 11 and may drop classes without a W through September 14, but must retain a full-time registration of at least 12 credits.
- SAS Students may withdraw from individual classes with a W through November 30, as long as they retain 12 credits of active registration.
- SAS Students may withdraw from all classes by taking a Leave of Absence through November 30.
Class Attendance Changes
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 8: attend MONDAY classes
WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 25: attend FRIDAY classes
(we know….this seems crazy!)
Advising and Registration Assistance
Help is just a mouse-click away! Like you, SAS Advisors are working remotely, though the physical Advising Centers are closed. But, we are here to assist you on-line:
Need help registering or adjusting your schedule: Advisors are available for Live Chat weekdays 9am-5pm EST
Virtual Advising Appointments: Need to speak with an advisor for long term planning? Call 848-932-8888 to set up an appointment – Coming Soon: Schedule your appointment with our new on-line scheduling tool!