School of Arts & Sciences Incoming Class
In preparation to begin your undergraduate education, please complete required placement tests prior to Academic Planning and Advising Day and within 30 days of accepting your admission.
Placement tests for newly admitted First-Year students must be completed within 30 days of enrollment and before attending an APA program.
The Rutgers Placement Tests determine the courses you are eligible to take in English, math and world languages. All incoming first-year students at SAS are required to take placement testing (see exemptions below), including testing in the world language that they studied in high school or that they speak as a native or heritage speaker
Information about placement testing, including sample questions, can be found at http://oirap.rutgers.edu/testplace.html.
Students who meet the following criteria are exempt from needing to take the placement test:
- Exemptions –Math Testing
- AP Exam in Calculus AB or BC with score of 4 or 5
- Exemptions – English Testing
- Evidence-Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) SAT score of 650 or higher
- Critical Reading SAT score of 650 or higher (by Jan. 2020 test)
- ACT Reading score of 32 or higher (by Jan. 2020 test)
- AP Exam in English Lang/Comp with score of 4 or 5 (already completed before 2020)*
- AP Exam in English Lit/Comp with score of 4 or 5 (already completed before 2020)*
- * Since most APA programs occur before AP scores are released, students should take the placement test. Students who earn the required AP scores, will be awarded the appropriate college credits regardless of placement test score.
- AP scores must be sent to Rutgers from the College Board. Go to: https://apscore.collegeboard.org/scores.