School of Arts & Sciences Incoming Class
All incoming first-year students must complete required placement tests prior to their Academic Planning and Advising Day. Placement tests will be available in late Spring. Once they are available, students must complete them within 30 days of accepting admission.
Placement tests for newly admitted First-Year students must be completed within 30 days of enrollment* and before attending an APA program.
*Placement tests will become available around March 1. Students who have accepted their offer of admission prior to March 1 must complete their placement tests by April 30. All other students must complete them within 30 days of enrollment.
The Rutgers Placement Tests determine the courses you are eligible to take in English, math and world languages. All incoming first-year students at SAS are required to take placement testing (see exemptions below), including testing in the world language that they studied in high school or that they speak as a native or heritage speaker.
Information about placement testing, including sample questions, can be found at http://oirap.rutgers.edu/testplace.html.
Students who meet the following criteria are exempt from needing to take the placement test:
- Exemptions –Math Testing
- AP Exam in Calculus AB or BC with score of 4 or 5
- Exemptions – English Testing
- Evidence-Based Reading & Writing (EBRW) SAT score of 650 or higher
- Critical Reading SAT score of 650 or higher (by Jan. 2021 test)
- ACT Reading score of 32 or higher (by Jan. 2021 test)
- AP Exam in English Lang/Comp with score of 4 or 5 (already completed before 2021)*
- AP Exam in English Lit/Comp with score of 4 or 5 (already completed before 2021)*
- * Since most APA programs occur before AP scores are released, students must take the placement test. Students who earn the required AP scores, will be awarded the appropriate college credits regardless of placement test score.
- AP scores must be sent to Rutgers from the College Board. Go to: https://apscore.collegeboard.org/scores.