Developed specifically for transfer students, the Students in Transition Seminar (STS) is an in-depth introduction to Rutgers University (RU) and the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS). Topics in this course are designed to assist transfer students in their adjustment to the University and to facilitate successful first term academic performance during this transition. With this goal in mind, the seminar will introduce students to the skills necessary to be successful in and outside the classroom. All incoming, first semester, full-time transfer students to SAS are required to take this course in their transfer semester.
- To facilitate the process of helping transfer students connect to RU and to encourage them to become active and responsible members of the RU community.
- To provide the information and self-assessment skills to facilitate successful academic performance and address developmental needs during the first term.
- To teach transfer students how to navigate the complexities and resources of a large research university.
- To establish connections between transfer students, transfer mentors, staff, and faculty from across the university.
- To develop a sense of community among transfer students.
All students are required to complete a Transfer Passport as a part of the STS course. Information on this assignment will be provided during the first class meeting. Passport events are listed with dates, times, and locations in the passport each semester.
Events which require registration are available at the STS Passport Event Registration Site.